Holden Captiva: Poor fuel consumption
Asked by Blavinder Singh Gill
There was a label on my 2010 Holden Captiva SX when I bought it saying that the fuel consumption average was 11.2 L/100 km, but when I checked after buying the car it said that the average was 6.2 km/litre or it runs 425 km on a full tank. I talked to the company and they said that this is normal and after I run my car for 15,000 km it will become 11.2 L/100km. I feel like something is wrong and am not satisfied. Can you tell me what to do?
Answered by CarsGuide24 Feb 2011
Holden claims the fuel consumption of the petrol Captiva is 16.4 L/ 100 km in urban, or city, driving conditions, but that drops to 8.9 L/100 km in extra urban, or country type driving. On average, the company claims, the Captiva would average 11.6 L/100 km. You say yours does 6.2 km/litre, which equates to 16.1 L/100 km, and that's in line with Holden's claims for urban driving. When you look at the labels on the windscreen you need to take in all of the information, not just the combined, or average, figures. The main thing they are there for is to allow you to compare one vehicle with another rather than give you an outright number that you will get from the vehicle yourself. Before complaining to the dealer I would do what has been suggested, that is to run it for the 15,000 km. You should see a reduced in the consumption as the vehicle beds in.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
- What is causing my 2009 Holden Captiva to run poorly?
- Why is the 4WD light coming on in my 2010 Holden Captiva?
- Holden Captiva 2009: Should I replace a leaking turbo?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers