Ask Smithy Xtra timing belt replacement
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2000
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
Asked by Dunc.
A few days after buying a dual-fuel 2000 NM Mitsubishi Pajero I decided to replace the timing belt. It ran for a few minutes after completing the belt change and idled smoothly while I topped up the coolant, but when I tried to give it a bit of a rev it was slow to build up revs and missed a bit. I tried to clear it and revved to about 4000 rpm and once I released the throttle the revs came down as expected but stopped instead of returning to idle. It hasn't started since. I checked all timing marks and it all lines up still, and tried disconnecting battery to reset ECU and sometimes get a clicking sound from the throttle body. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide9 Aug 2011
If you removed the tensioner pulley when you replaced the belt I would guess you didn’t set it up correctly when you reinstalled it and the belt was loose as a result, and has jumped a tooth when you revved it. Check the belt again and make sure the tensioner is installed correctly and the belt is tensioned. While I think that could be the explanation it is also possible that the wire to the crank angle sensor has broken.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- I wanted to get your advice on an older cheap car for around $5-7K. Do you have any recommendations?
- I have a Mitsubishi Pajero GLX-R. The vehicle is running well except when tank reaches 1/4 full...
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
Most viewed in Advice
- Five best small cars in Australia
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Five best small cars in Australia
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?