A4 servicing issues
- Audi A4
- Audi A4 2010
- Audi Advice
- Audi A4 Reviews
- Audi Sedan Range
- Car Servicing
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Asked by Stevan
My 2010 Audi A4 1.8-litre turbo has been using too much oil. I have been topping it up with a little of oil every 250km. I believe this model has an oil consumption issue and we have made Audi aware that they have to pay to fix it, and have booked an appointment to put an "oil splitter" in to test the consumption. As the appointment was a week away the car beeped as normal saying low on oil. One day I started it and it stopped working. Now Audi has taken the car apart and is telling us the timing chain has snapped, the engine has lost compression, and it might have bent valves. Could this have been caused by the lack of oil, as it would have overheated also have high friction and caused various parts to malfunction, but they say it has nothing to do with oil and are trying to charge me. Do you have any advice to give me on how to tackle this issue? I'm not willing to pay money to Audi for their mishap in engineering this engine and negligence towards my car.
Answered by CarsGuide1 Jul 2016
It's possible that the chain broke due a loss of oil, but there are a number of possible reasons it could have happened. You won't know until it's pulled down and a mechanic can assess the damage and determine the cause. VW engines, that means Audi, are renowned for using some oil, but to determine if it is excessive you need to do a proper consumption test, which was about to be done when the engine failed. Your best option is to work with the dealer as they investigate the problem and take note of anything you're told by the dealer that might help you later on when you try to claim against Audi for the cost of repairs.
Other Audi A4 problems
- What oil does a 2004 Audi A4 use in the engine?
- Audi A3 and A4 2010: Are they reliable?
- Should I buy an Audi A3 or A4?
- Audi A4: replacement key cost
- Are there any negatives in buying a repossessed car?
- High oil consumption in A4
- 2010 Audi A4 using excess oil
- Reasonable price for an A4?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Audi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?