Should I buy an Audi A3 or A4?
- Audi A3
- Audi A4
- Audi A3 2019
- Audi A4 2019
- Audi Advice
- Audi A3 Reviews
- Audi A4 Reviews
- Audi Sedan Range
Asked by Tony
I am tossing up between a new Audi A3 with assistance pack, sunroof and virtual cockpit and a heavily discounted A4 with the same options as the A3. Any advice or pros for either model would be appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2020
It would pay to bear in mind, Tony that there’s an all-new A3 due in Europe next year (Check out Carsguide’s overage of the Geneva Motor Show when it happens) as well as a major upgrade of the A4 that will include new or comprehensively revised engines and mostly new body panels and interior.
Is the heavily discounted A4 a dealership demonstrator? As that might explain why the A4, even though it’s the bigger car, has had its price slashed, despite having all that desirable kit thrown in. That said, the A4 lives in a market segment (mid-sized sedans) that is not doing terribly well right now (in Australia and elsewhere) so maybe Audi has too much stock of a car that has plenty of competition (Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3-Series) in a struggling market.
The bottom line, however, is to buy as much car as you need and don’t make the mistake of buying a smaller, cheaper car when it won’t easily do the jobs you have in mind for it. Again, though, the A3 is a pretty practical hatchback (or sedan) and owners don’t seem to complain that it’s underdone in any major way.
So, drive them both, and see which one you like to pilot. And then start throwing offers at the salesman and see how much he or she is able to bend on either car. By the way, the virtual cockpit is brilliant technology.
Other Audi A3 problems
- Does the Audi A3 have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto?
- How do I find out the service history of my 2004 Audi A3?
- Audi A3 and A4 2010: Are they reliable?
- Can I use ULP in my Audi A3?
- Audi A3: replacement key cost
- Best fuel efficient city car for off road?
- A3 turbo lag?
- Buying a 2013 Audi A3 Ambition
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Audi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing