Audi A3 and A4 2010: Are they reliable?
- Audi A3
- Audi A4
- Audi A3 2010
- Audi A4 2010
- Audi Advice
- Audi A3 Reviews
- Audi A4 Reviews
- Audi Hatchback Range
- Audi Sedan Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Kun
Answered by CarsGuide15 Feb 2020
Volkswagen is very quick to point out that the earlier transmission woes with its DSG gearbox have been fixed. Certainly, the later versions seem to be better, but the jury is still out on whether the fix has been a complete one.
In any case, that’s no use to you as the cars made around 2010 are, indeed, the ones that were most affected by these troublesome transmissions. The smaller Audi models were the main offenders as some of those used the dry-clutch version of the DSG. The larger (and heavier) A4 tended to have the wet-clutch version of the same gearbox which wasn’t nearly as problematic. So that should be your golden rule here if you decide to take the plunge: Only buy a second-hand Audi with a wet-clutch DSG. Even then, we can’t guarantee that it will be all sweetness and light, but at least you’re a chance to side-step major problems. Audi actually recalled many of its models to deal with these gearbox issues at the time.
The other thing to be sure of is that any used Audi you buy has a complete service history with no gaps or late services. These cars use high-tech engines that absolutely require clean oil and filters at regular intervals. A neglected Audi is a very good chance to be a pain in the wallet down the track. Like many second-hand prestige cars, these Audis are often cheap for a reason.
Other Audi A3 problems
- Does the Audi A3 have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto?
- How do I find out the service history of my 2004 Audi A3?
- Should I buy an Audi A3 or A4?
- Can I use ULP in my Audi A3?
- Audi A3: replacement key cost
- Best fuel efficient city car for off road?
- A3 turbo lag?
- Buying a 2013 Audi A3 Ambition
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Audi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing