Browse over 9,000 car reviews

Sorry, there are no cars that match your search

Understanding car insurance

Understanding car insurance

There are four main categories of car insurance.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP)

CTP insurance is mandatory in all Australian states. It covers you or any driver of your car against liability for death or injury caused during an accident. CTP is a type of third-party insurance, but it doesn’t protect you from third-party property damage.

Third-party Property

Third-party property insurance covers you for damage done to another car while driving. It does not cover damage to your own car. We consider third-party property insurance to be just about as mandatory as CTP. There’s no telling what you’ll bump into at the lights. If it’s a brand-new Beemer, you don’t want to be paying for those repairs out of your own pocket.

Fire and Theft 

Fire and theft insurance is a restricted policy that will help to reimburse the policy-holder if their car is stolen or lost to fire damage.


Comprehensive insurance essentially covers all your bases. The coverage includes theft and collision, but also weather and malicious damage. Many comprehensive policies cover damage caused to other cars, as well as your own. 

General tips?

  • Shop around. Not all insurance providers are made equal. Different customers will get different quotes, and different providers will value different things. Use all the tools at your disposal to get as many quotes as you can.
  • Consider your needs. If your car cost less than what you’re being quoted for a comprehensive policy, consider third-party property insurance instead. If you just drove your brand-new car off the showroom floor, go for the comprehensive policy.