Why does my 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan need so many repairs?
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2009
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Tiguan Reviews
- Volkswagen SUV Range
Asked by Mike
My 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan diesel has had feedback about repairs needed after a recent breakdown. Volkswagen are quoting $11,700 to repair the problems on what is now a $7000 car. My option is to send it to the wreckers as 'we need a new high-pressure fuel pump, probably injectors and we should do the timing chain at same time'. It’s only got 96,000km on it. Is this unusual or a theme with other owners?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Oct 2020
It’s really not good enough, is it: A modern car should go well beyond the 100,000km mark before the cost of repairs required are higher than the value of the vehicle itself. However, before making a decision either way, I’d be getting a second opinion, because either your dealership has no idea what it’s talking about, or it’s making an attempt to shake you down. So go back to them and tell them – just for starters – that your engine has a timing belt and not a timing chain.
Based on that alone, I’d be dubious about any diagnosis made by a workshop that doesn’t know this rather simple fact about the engine in your car. A second opinion might put the situation into an entirely different light financially speaking, too. Try a workshop that isn’t a Volkswagen dealer and start from scratch. I’d also be talking to VW Australia customer service department, because that degree of work on a vehicle with just 96,000km showing is a scandal.
Other Volkswagen Tiguan problems
- Why do I get an error message when I connect the nav in my 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2012: Do I need to get the diesel injectors serviced?
- Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 2020: Should I wait for the facelifted version?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2017: Bubbling effect on the rear tailgate
- Volkswagen Tiguan: Any known problems?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2009: Are there any common issues?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2011: What fuel can I use?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?