What's wrong with my 2006 Honda CR-V engine?
- Honda CR-V
- Honda CR-V 2006
- Honda Advice
- Honda CR-V Reviews
- Honda SUV Range
- Family Cars
- 7 seater
Asked by Jude
Sometimes my 2006 Honda CR-V doesn't have the power to drive effectively, especially when going up a crest or merging on a freeway. Sometimes it clears up and runs like a rocket. What could be causing this?
Answered by CarsGuide24 Aug 2021
The engines in these Hondas are considered pretty solid and reliable performers. But as with any car now celebrating its 15th birthday, things can go wrong that can affect performance. With that in mind it could be time to give the engine a comprehensive once-over and a full service. Having the car electronically interrogated would be a good idea, too, as any faults noted by the on-board computer will have been logged and could tell you a lot about that’s going on under the bonnet. Just because the car hasn’t illuminated a dashboard warning light, doesn’t mean that the computer hasn’t noticed something strange going on.
The problem is obviously an intermittent one (or the car would never run properly) and that really does point towards something electronic. That said, a good mechanic will also go back to first principles checking things like fuel delivery, ignition timing and even engine compression.
Any information you can gather when the problem occurs will help enormously, too. For instance, does the engine blow smoke or make any odd noises when it loses power? Does the car shudder or suddenly start using more fuel when the problem occurs? The more observations you can pass on to a mechanic the better idea he or she will have of where to start searching. Fundamentally, you could be looking at anything from a collapsed catalytic converter or muffler, a faulty fuel pump or injector, a damaged spark-plug lead or literally any one of about a thousand other things.
Other Honda CR-V problems
- Thinking about a Honda CR-V and its engine service life. Does the engine have a timing belt or chain?
- What's the correct oil type for my Honda CR-V, and is it tricky to change it yourself?
- Why is the plastic around the gear shift on my 2019 Honda CR-V deforming?
- Honda CR-V 2020: Should I buy AWD?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Honda CR-V 2015: How do I change the clock?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
- Honda CR-V 2019: Is this car suitable for people in their 60s?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
- The future of electric cars: When will...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
The future of electric cars: When will electric cars take over in Australia?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000