Why is the plastic around the gear shift on my 2019 Honda CR-V deforming?
Asked by Clarence
Have you heard of problems with the console area around the gearshift becoming deformed in a 2019 Honda CR-V? The plastic on mine is rising up like vein.
Answered by CarsGuide24 Mar 2021
Plastic interior components in Japanese and European cars were once very susceptible to early failures in terms of cracking, peeling, discolouring and warping. The problem was that the manufacturers from these markets had an utter lack of understanding of Australian levels of UV radiation and heat cycles and, as a result, their plastic interiors soon disintegrated. Things soon changed for the better, however, and modern cars have very resilient interior fittings.
However, that makes it even stranger that your car should be exhibiting this problem. I’s not something that we’ve seen across a wide cross-section of CR-V vehicles, so maybe it’s a one-off manufacturing fault. Perhaps the plastic trim piece you refer to was damaged when it was fitted at the factory and has gradually become worse with age. Either way, it should be a simple warranty repair for your local dealership. Replacing the trim piece with a new one is the answer as the damaged part probably can’t be repaired economically.
Other Honda CR-V problems
- Thinking about a Honda CR-V and its engine service life. Does the engine have a timing belt or chain?
- What's wrong with my 2006 Honda CR-V engine?
- What's the correct oil type for my Honda CR-V, and is it tricky to change it yourself?
- Honda CR-V 2020: Should I buy AWD?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Honda CR-V 2015: How do I change the clock?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
- Honda CR-V 2019: Is this car suitable for people in their 60s?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia