Honda CR-V 2020: Should I buy AWD?
Asked by Mark
Should I buy an AWD version of the Honda CR-V just to get the advanced safety features like AEB, collision mitigation warning etc? I like driving the CR-V due to its space and fuel efficiency, but is it worth getting AWD? I usually drive my car in the city and I quite rarely go off-roading or to the snow, so is it worth getting an AWD version of a car just for top specs? Does this apply to the CX-9 Azami or the CX-5 Akera as well?
Answered by CarsGuide4 May 2020
It’s a fact that the top-rung version of a particular make and model will not only get all the luxury and convenience items, it’ll also usually be the first to score new safety tech, too. That’s why CarsGuide gives car-makers a pat on the back when they make new safety gear standard across the whole range. However, that’s the exception rather than the rule here, and most car-makers, including the ones you’ve mentioned have the same policy of loading up the more expensive variants in their line-up.
But before you dismiss all-wheel-drive as something you have to pay for to get better safety gear, understand that AWD itself is a safety boost. The extra grip given by driving all four wheels makes a car safer in all conditions, but especially in low-friction conditions. So, if safety is a concern (and it obviously is for you, Mark) then I reckon AWD is for you anyway.
Besides which, even though you’ve said you only driver to the snow every now and then, when those times arrive, you’ll be very pleased you paid for AWD.
Other Honda CR-V problems
- Thinking about a Honda CR-V and its engine service life. Does the engine have a timing belt or chain?
- What's wrong with my 2006 Honda CR-V engine?
- What's the correct oil type for my Honda CR-V, and is it tricky to change it yourself?
- Why is the plastic around the gear shift on my 2019 Honda CR-V deforming?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Honda CR-V 2015: How do I change the clock?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
- Honda CR-V 2019: Is this car suitable for people in their 60s?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing