What is causing the squealing noise when I accelerate in my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage?
- Mitsubishi Mirage
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Mirage Reviews
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Tracie
My daughter and I both have 2014 Mitsubishi Mirages and they are both making the same noise. The belt has been changed on both cars as this was what Mitsubishi told me the problem was. But this only fixed the problem for a short time. It’s a squealing noise on acceleration. Any ideas, as they can’t tell me at this point?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
The drive belts on the engines might be new, but what about the pulleys they run in? A pulley with a worn bearing can start to squeal when under load, such as when you start to accelerate and the belt has to speed up. Also, any coolant or oil on the belt can make it screech, too. When the belts had just been replaced, they were nice and clean, but after a few kilometres have passed and contaminants have been able to build up, you might be back to square one again with a screaming rubber belt.
Check the belts for coolant or oil (or anything else) on them as well as the pulleys and tensioners to make sure a small leak in the engine is not being spread all over the place by the belt. Check the belts for correct tension, too, as this can vary over time and is a classic cause of noisy operation. It does seem odd that both cars have started to make the noise in unison, but stranger things have happened.
Other Mitsubishi Mirage problems
- What new cars with high ground clearance do you recommend?
- Mitsubishi Mirage 2014: Can my LS be fitted so it can tow?
- What's a good small car?
- Which small hatch should I buy for $15,000?
- How long will a replacement gearbox last in a 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage?
- Do you think it's time that carmakers considered selling a small sedan-based ute on the Australian market?
- When is the best time to buy a cheap sedan or hatch?
- Mirage brake replacement necessary?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Fuel efficiency explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Fuel efficiency explained