Which small hatch should I buy for $15,000?
- Mitsubishi Mirage
- Toyota Yaris
- Holden Barina
- Kia Picanto
- Holden Advice
- Kia Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mitsubishi Mirage Reviews
- Toyota Yaris Reviews
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Kia Picanto Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Kia Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Buying tips
Asked by Paul
I’m weighing up between a 2018 Barina and others vehicles close to the mark for $15k. Is the Spark any comparison (considering I’d prefer reverse camera, and cruise control)? And how does the Barina compare to the Mirage, or Yaris (I hate Kia, and think Suzuki is ugly)?
Answered by CarsGuide30 May 2018
The Holden Spark has been discontinued in Australia, with the company citing low volume as the main issue. But if that doesn't deter you, it's still a solid buy at under $15,000. Dealers have plenty of stock still on showroom floors, and you can get really good prices on 2017-plate models for less than $15k, drive-away. Shop for the LT if this is the car you like most, because it has a better features list than the LS.
Probably best to steer clear of the regular Barina, which is admittedly bigger, but definitely not better. The current-generation model could find its way to the automotive graveyard this year, too.
The Mirage isn't as good as either the Barina or Spark, so unless you just want a very inexpensive car, it's not high on our recommendation list. The Yaris is lagging behind the times in terms of features, but there's a reason it's a go-to for many budget car buyers: it's a strong offering for space and comfort.
All of that said, the Kia Picanto is the budget car we'd most likely recommend, because it has a strong and long warranty and is the only one in the mix with auto emergency braking (AEB). Plus it has a reversing camera as standard (the base model Spark doesn't).
Other Holden Barina problems
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
Most viewed in Advice
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers