What is causing a front end knock in my 2020 Holden Colorado ZL1?
- Holden Colorado
- Holden Advice
- Holden Colorado Reviews
- Holden Commercial Range
- Holden Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Steve
I have a six-month-old Z71 Holden Colorado. It has always had a knock when the front right wheel goes into a hole on the road. Now the left side is doing the same. The local Holden dealer has tightened all the front end and also the body-anchor points behind the front guards. The issue is still there. Do you have any suggestions as to what this could be?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
I’ve actually experienced this on a brand-new Colorado (during an evaluation drive, no less). In this case it turned out to be a couple of loose fasteners in the front end, which were fixed quickly and permanently. In your case, though, it seems as though even with everything checked and tightened, the noise is still there.
So maybe it’s not something as obvious as a loose coupling or fitting. Maybe you’re looking at noisy shock absorbers. Sometimes these components can contribute a clunk, but it’s usually when they’re worn out, not on a six-month-old vehicle. Does the noise occur in a straight line or with some steering lock applied? Perhaps the steering lock stops are the culprits. I’d be putting the vehicle back on a hoist and checking that everything from the engine mounts to the cross-member and the steering rack to the transmission mounts are torqued to the correct values. Don’t rule out silly things like a loose tub or tray, either; sometimes a clunk in the rear of a vehicle can be transmitted down a chassis rail to sound like it’s coming from the front somewhere.
Other Holden Colorado problems
- Can I increase the brightness of the dash lights in my 2013 Holden Colorado?
- What is causing the brake pedal to sink slowly to the floor in my 2016 Holden Colorado?
- How can I test if there's too much blow-by in the engine of my 2010 Holden Colorado?
- Holden Colorado 2011: Problems with the crankshaft
- Holden Colorado 2013: What are the known issues for this model?
- Holden Colorado 2009 - 2012: What are the servicing intervals?
- Can I have a 2017 engine in my 2014 Holden Colorado?
- Holden Colorado 2013: Why is my engine failure light on?