Holden Astra 2002: Is it reliable?
- Subaru Impreza
- Holden Astra
- Holden Astra 2002
- Subaru Impreza 2004
- Holden Advice
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Impreza Reviews
- Holden Astra Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Subaru Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by A. McDonald
MY 2002 TS Holden Astra has travelled almost 100,000km and though I have found it good to drive, I have had a few mechanical problems with it. I am often told the TS Astra is notorious for having issues, especially after 100,000km. I want a car that will be reliable for some time. Is the Astra likely to be this reliable, or should I look elsewhere? I have been looking at other cars, especially the MY04 Subaru Impreza RX, for an upgrade.
Answered by CarsGuide10 Apr 2008
EVERY kilometre you drive is one closer to a major meltdown. That's the reality of owning any ageing car, not just an Astra. It's impossible to predict when that might happen. The reality is your car's best days are behind it. Should you sell? It's impossible to say. It doesn't matter what the badge is on the bonnet, your car is six years old, so you should expect a few problems. Your upgrade option is four years old, and though the Subaru is a good brand and the Impreza a good model, it is also getting on. I would press on with the Astra, or trade it in on a new car.
Other Holden Astra problems
- The car alarm system in my 1998 Holden Astra hatch activates for no reason, what could be the problem?
- How do I get a key programmed to my 2006 Holden Astra?
- Why is there a knocking noise under the bonnet before starting the engine of my 2005 Holden Astra?
- Why doesn't the auto gear lever in my 2009 Holden Astra engage securely?
- Why is the coolant in my 2007 Holden Astra a milky colour?
- Why does my 2017 Holden Astra jerk when I put it in reverse?
- Why does the clock in my 2004 Holden Astra CD keep resetting?
- Why does my 2009 Holden Astra have trouble starting after sitting overnight?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Every electric car available in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing