Nissan X-Trail: Malfunction Indicator Light
Asked by Paul Ditchburn
Following a battery change the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) in my 2005 Nissan X-Trail came on and the engine went into "limp" mode. After checking on-line, I found that the computer on the X-Trail could be re-set by removing certain fuses for a short time. Feeling very clever, I did this, and sure enough, the MIL went off and the car came out of "limp" mode. However, it was noted by my "cyber guru" that if the fault were more serious, the MIL would come back on - which it did! Are you aware of any On-Board Diagnostic code reader I can obtain for my car so that I can identify and rectify the problem without the necessity of going to the dealer?"
Answered by CarsGuide20 Dec 2010
I'm not aware of any affordable equipment you could purchase to diagnose problems at home. If you want to save money you could use an independent service agent who would generally charge much less than the dealer.
Other Nissan X-TRAIL problems
- When the engine heats up on my 2007 Nissan X-Trail, the automatic transmission struggles to change gears.
- How do I get my digital speedo showing on my 2016 Nissan X-Trail? What settings do I need and what procedure do I follow to show my digital speed?
- My 2014 Nissan X-Trail is jerking in fourth and fifth gear at 2000rpm...
- I am trying to make my fuel consumption as economical as possible. Do you have any advice?
- My X-Trail vibrates when slowing from about 80km/h to 60km/h and feels like it was in third gear when second was required...
- What parts should I replace/change out on my 2011 Nissan X-Trail and what motor oil do you recommend?
- I have a 2016 Nissan X-Trail and wondering what causes a transmission to need replacing?
- Can I tow a 1478kg (ATM) caravan with my Nissan X-Trail 2017 4x4 2.5L Petrol Automatic?
Most viewed in Advice
- Five best small cars in Australia
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Five best small cars in Australia
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?