Nissan valve riddle
Asked by Jamie Garbutt
I HAVE a standard 2002 Nissan 200SX S15 with only 27,000 km on the odometer. When I went to start it recently, it almost started on the first attempt, but failed, then refused to start at all. I phoned Nissancare and told them that I thought there was a problem with the starter motor. They came out and said there was no compression and something had probably gone wrong within the head. I had it towed to the nearest Nissan service agent, because it was still under the Nissan extended warranty. I was shocked when told it had bent valves and, because they couldn't find anything wrong with the timing chain, it must have been over-revved for the valves to bend. As a result it was not covered under warranty. We never drive the vehicle hard and generally only at weekends. From what I have been told, if the engine was over-revved and the valves bent, the motor would have stopped then and there. The car was started after the last time it was driven to back it out of the garage, then left for a week before the incident occurred. I have written to Nissan explaining the events, but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears. What might have caused this problem and what steps I could take with Nissan?.
Answered by CarsGuide29 Mar 2007
BAD news, I'm afraid. It's almost certain that the engine being over-revved has caused the problem. That doesn't mean that you have revved it hard through the gears. It's more likely because of a missed gear when shifting down through them. It's possible that a lower gear than the one you intended to select has been selected and the engine has momentarily over-revved as a result. It doesn't take much to bend a valve.
Other Nissan problems
- What is my 2001 Nissan Pulsar worth?
- What is the best reliable ute?
- Does a 2011 Nissan Navara Turbo have a timing belt or chain warning light?
- How do I take my Nissan Navara out of limp mode?
- My Nissan Qashqai has been serviced but a systems warning fault is still coming up on my screen.
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Everything you need to know to pass your...
- 14 best cars for towing a trailer
- Capped price servicing explained
- Cars that start with I
- Top 11 celebrity car collections
- VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
- What demerit points count if you get booked...
- How much does an electric car actually cost?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Everything you need to know to pass your driving test (update)
14 best cars for towing a trailer
Capped price servicing explained
Cars that start with I
Top 11 celebrity car collections
VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
What demerit points count if you get booked in another state?
How much does an electric car actually cost?