Mercedes-Benz C63 vs Porsche Cayman GT4
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Porsche Cayman
- Mercedes-AMG C63
- Mercedes-AMG C63 Reviews
- Porsche Cayman 2017
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class 2015
- Mercedes-Benz C63 2015
- Mercedes-Benz Advice
- Porsche Advice
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class Reviews
- Porsche Cayman Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz Coupe Range
- Mercedes-Benz Sedan Range
- Porsche Coupe Range
- Porsche Sedan Range
- Sports cars
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
- Buying tips
Asked by Robert Daddona
Can you please give me your thoughts on which car you would recommend between a Merc C63 (either the current model or the latter C63 507, both sedan), or the Porsche Cayman GT4. Which would you recommend and why?
Answered by CarsGuide7 Jun 2017
Obviously you're in the market for a performance drive, and the biggest difference between your preferences is seats. Specifically, just two in the Porsche. So, despite the fact the Cayman has a pretty handy boot in the nose, it's never going to be as practical as a C-Class sedan. The 6.2-litre V8 in the (W204) C63 is a naturally aspirated dream. The sound and fury of 372kW/620Nm (in the Edition 507) driving the rear wheels is a rare pleasure, and on the right road, its balance and mid-range punch are sublime. The current (W205-based) C63 S's 4.0-litre turbo V8 just pips it on outputs (375kW/700Nm), but the biggest difference with that unit's forced induction is that all that torque is available from just 1750rpm. The new chassis is brilliant, and is even quicker point-to-point than the Edition 507. Then there's the Cayman. Although we've somehow missed seat time in the GT4, experience with previous ‘special' models, including the (881) Cayman R and GTS point to this being the purest (or purist's?) choice. The 3.4-litre atmo R produces 243kW/370Nm, the GTS 250kW/380Nm, and the 3.8-litre GT4 is at 283kW/420Nm. The Cayman's mid-engine layout, and ideal weight distribution makes it one of the most precise and agile sports cars on the planet. So if you can live with just the two seats (that aren't exactly easy to get in and out of), it's our pick in terms of outright driving enjoyment.
Other Mercedes-AMG C63 problems
- Mercedes-Benz C63: Advice on buying used model
- Resale values on HSV GTS vs C63 head to head
- Options for retirement car?
- Run flat tyres on new Mercedes-Benz
- Should I buy a Mercedes-Benz C63?
- Mercedes mystery
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mercedes-Benz
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers