How can I fix the seat belt in my 2020 Honda HR-V?
Asked by Nisar
The rear-seat belt is stuck and doesn't roll back in my 2020 Honda HR-V. How can I fix this?
Answered by CarsGuide19 Jan 2021
Inertia-reel seat-belts have saved lots of lives by ensuring that they’re always adjusted correctly on whoever is wearing them. They work by being able to mechanically detect sharp forces (such as would be expected in a crash) and locking instantly, limiting the movement of bodies in the process. In the meantime, they offer a huge degree of convenience by allowing you to move around in your seat without being squeezed by the belt.
But they can suffer problems with the inertia mechanism which can jam and lead to the problem you currently have. This is often because the car is parked on an angle, causing the mechanism to `think’ that the car has pitched violently and locking the belt as a precaution, even though it’s standing still. So test the seat-belt with the car sitting on flat ground. To be honest, inertia-reel belts are more likely to refuse to unravel to allow you to fasten them than they are to fail to wind-in or retract, so maybe there’s a small manufacturing flaw in the belt in question.
The good news is that your car is still under its factory warranty, so a trip to a Honda dealership should be able to sort the problem quickly and simply and at zero cost to you. The quickest, safest fix would be to simply replace the whole seat-belt unit and that’s probably what a dealer will do.
Other Honda HR-V problems
- Should I buy a Hyundai Kona or Honda HR-V?
- How do you change a car's suspension?
- What are the pros and cons of a 2018 MG ZS?
- My 2019 Honda HR-V flashing "Park" at me, what does it mean?
- What car should I replace my 2011 Hyundai i20 with?
- Honda HR-V 2019: Does it have adaptive cruise control?
- Honda HR-V 2019: Why does the radio cut out when I use the sat nav?
- Honda HR-V 2020: Will this model have an upgraded design?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia