My 2019 Honda HR-V flashing "Park" at me, what does it mean?
- Honda HR-V
- Honda HR-V 2019
- Honda Advice
- Honda HR-V Reviews
- Honda SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Natalie
My 2019 Honda HR-V started flashing `PARK’ at me. It says I have emissions issues and the parking brake system doesn't work and that I need to see dealer immediately. What’s wrong with it? I’ve only had it for a year, and how much will this issue cost?
Answered by CarsGuide28 Aug 2020
The problem sounds like a fairly major melt-down of some of the car’s computer systems which is leading it to think there’s a range of major issues that have all occurred at once. Modern cars use lots and lots of sensors that all feed information back to the computer that controls the driveline (the ECU) and everything else (the body computer) and if any of these sensors are kaput, the car can issue you with headlines like the one you’re seeing.
The good news is that it shouldn’t cost you anything to fix, a 2019 Honda is well and truly still within the factory warranty period, so it’s the dealer’s problem to fix, not yours. Even if you bought the car second-hand, the new-car warranty transfers to subsequent owners (you) so don’t be afraid to phone your nearest dealership and book the car in to be inspected, diagnosed and fixed.
The only catch in all of this is if the car hasn’t been serviced correctly. It doesn’t need a Honda-dealership service history, but it does need service-handbook proof that it has been maintained according to the manufacturer’s schedule by an accredited workshop. If it hasn’t, Honda (or any other manufacturer) can sometimes use that neglect as an out when it comes to fixing problems under warranty. If, for instance, you turned up with a three-year-old car that had covered 60,000km but had never had an oil change or service, you’d probably find the manufacturer would simply tear up the warranty on the spot, even if it was technically a five-year warranty.
Other Honda HR-V problems
- How do you change a car's suspension?
- How can I fix the seat belt in my 2020 Honda HR-V?
- What are the pros and cons of a 2018 MG ZS?
- What car should I replace my 2011 Hyundai i20 with?
- Honda HR-V 2019: Does it have adaptive cruise control?
- Honda HR-V 2019: Why does the radio cut out when I use the sat nav?
- Honda HR-V 2020: Will this model have an upgraded design?
- Dealer damaged my car
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers