Honda CR-V 2002: Clutch pedal squeaking
Asked by Len Hall
For the second time my 2002 Honda CR-V has developed the most awful squeaking, or almost very loud groaning noise, whenever the clutch pedal is depressed. The first time it occurred the dealer changed some bushes and the noise went away, but this time they are telling me that the noise is coming from the clutch cylinder. Being a doubting Thomas I would like to get a second opinion before I spend the $375 required to replace the clutch cylinder and then find the noise is still happening. There appears to be some wear where the clutch return spring is attached to a bracket under the dash and I am wondering if this is where the noise is actually emanating from. The noise is definitely 'inside' the car and not in the area where I think the cylinder is mounted i.e. under the bonnet on the bulkhead. What do you think?
Answered by CarsGuide30 Nov 2012
Isolate the spring from the point you think it's rubbing by using some foam, tape or some other material to remove the point of contact. That will tell you if that's causing the problem. If you still doubt the dealer's prognosis, tell them and have them convince you of the merit of their argument.
Other Honda CR-V problems
- Honda CR-V 2020: Should I buy AWD?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Honda CR-V 2015: How do I change the clock?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
- Honda CR-V 2019: Is this car suitable for people in their 60s?
- Are there 4WD for sale for up to $3,100 maximum?
- Toyota Kluger: What SUV would have less cabin noise?
- Honda CR-V 2018: Does my car need an oil change?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?