Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
Asked by Tony
The engine on my 2002 Ford Falcon cuts out while driving. I replaced the throttle-position sensor and it seemed okay for a while but is doing it again periodically. I went through the TPS reset procedure but that made no difference. Any ideas on what is going on?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
Computer-controlled engines like the one in your Falcon, Tony, require a range of sensors to provide the information to the computer to allow the engine to run properly. If just one of those sensors sneezes, the engine can shut down without warning.
As well as a throttle-position sensor, there are also camshaft-angle, crank-angle, air temperature, coolant temperature, oxygen sensors and more. So the best advice is not to start replacing the sensors one by one, but to have the computer interrogated electronically. The computer will be logging problems as they happen and should be able to tell you exactly which sensor is nodding off intermittently. A Ford dealership along with many independent workshops will have the computer-scan gear to do this. It will save you time and money in the long run.
For what it’s worth, since the car cuts out completely, my hunch would be the crank-angle sensor is overheating. So, if you want to persist with a home diagnosis, try this: Carry a bottle of cold water in the car. Then, the next time the engine cuts out, pour the cold water over the crank-angle sensor. If the car suddenly restarts, you’ve found your problem.
But to be honest, you could also be looking at a dud fuel pump, a blocked fuel filter and literally a hundred other possibilities.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- How can I change driveshaft centre bearing on a 2004 BA Falcon?
- Will I still be able to buy LPG gas in the future?
- What is the best type of oil to use in a 2009 Ford Falcon XR6T?
- Why does my 2002 Ford Falcon idle irregularly and have a delayed throttle response?
- What oil can I use instead of Ford Engine Oil?
- What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon: Can I use premium unleaded fuel?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia