Best SUV for towing a horse float
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2009
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2009
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2009
- Jeep Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Jeep SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Buyers Guide
- Buying tips
Asked by Robyn Morgan
COULD you give advice on buying a second-hand four-wheel drive for towing a double horse float with one horse? The float weighs 1800kg without the horse on board. I was looking at a 2005 Ford Territory automatic that has done 53,000km. Or should I look at a Toyota Prado or LandCruiser?
Answered by CarsGuide25 Sep 2009
YOU have to think of how much the float will weigh with a horse and any gear. My guess is that it will be in excess of 2.5 tonnes. I would rule out the Territory; too many problems from rust to CV joint leaks to front ball joint wear, and you would have to upgrade the transmission cooling to handle the weight. Go for the Prado or LandCruiser, or perhaps think of the Jeep Grand Cherokee that will tow 3.0 tonnes.
Other Jeep Grand Cherokee problems
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015: Blown automatic transmission.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996: Where can I buy a front tailshaft?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Does the Jeep Grand Cherokee have product quality issues?
- Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2015 reliable?
- What towing vehicle should I buy?
- What's the best car for towing a van?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013: Warranty issues
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Electric car battery recycling explained
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Jeep
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Electric car battery recycling explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
12 best EVs available in Australia