Toyota LandCruiser: finding a replacement off roader
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Isuzu MU-X
- Isuzu MU-X 2015
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2015
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1986
- Isuzu Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Isuzu MU-X Reviews
- Isuzu SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Family Cars
- Off road
- 7 seater
- Buying tips
Asked by Michael Sesin
I have a 1986 Toyota LandCruiser turbodiesel I use for general driving but mostly for towing, 1.8 tonnes approximately. The odometer has 320,000km, I have a bit of body rust but not too bad. While mechanically it's still good, due to its age I am concerned about spare parts availability. Should I buy another car or run this one into the ground, considering I want to do some long-distance travelling, to Cape York, WA etc? The cars I have considered are Toyota Prado, Jeep and Isuzu MU-X. I would like to stay with a diesel and 4x4 with low range, economy is a major factor, bells and whistles that come with new cars like reversing cameras and satnav aren't that necessary.
Answered by CarsGuide25 May 2015
You will definitely enjoy a new car and the Prado gets The Tick but, really, the Isuzu will be cheaper and almost as good for your towing needs.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser problems
- Is the rear bumper interchangeable between a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado and a 1998 Prado Grande?
- Will the new 2021 Toyota Landcruiser 300 Series have the centre console fridge?
- Which of the Toyota LandCruiser is the most best?
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser 2016:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series: What is the height of the running board?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2014: Is this a good car to buy second-hand?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1998: What is the towing power of this car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing