- Range Rover
- Land Rover Range Rover 1989
- Land Rover Advice
- Range Rover Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
Asked by Phil Crockford
I OWN a fuel-injected 1989 Range Rover V8. A while back I started to use a Caltex ethanol blend unleaded fuel sold in Cairns. Within about one month my fuel pump started to play up with an intermittent fault and the vehicle would just stop. After about two months it failed totally and was replaced. On removal it was found that the wiring loom going into the submersible pump had totally fused and the insulation had burnt off the wires inside the fuel tank. I continued to use the Caltex fuel until two months later I started to get similar problems, which eventually led to the failure of the second pump. Again the wiring loom inside the tank was totally fused together resulting in a short circuit. I made inquiries about ethanol and found out it melts some types of plastic. I phoned Caltex without response except for them to say Rover recommended the fuel blend. Rover Australia told me the opposite. I kept using the blend because I still was not sure and yes, you guessed it, another burnt-out pump. Each pump with fitting cost approx. $600. I stopped using the Caltex blend and now won't fill the car with any fuel containing ethanol. It has been nearly 18 months and I've had no problems.
Answered by CarsGuide29 Sep 2005
THE problem with ethanol is that is attacks materials in the fuel system, plastics and rubber materials in particular. Engines that run on high levels of ethanol need protection and carmakers who do use it have to go to extra lengths to add that protection. The level of ethanol here in Australia is limited to 10 per cent, which shouldn't really cause you trouble, but clearly it has in this case. The answer is easy: switch to another brand that contains no ethanol.
Other Range Rover problems
- Are Range Rover reliable and good cars?
- What is the most expensive Range Rover?
- Do you recommend Range Rovers?
- What is the most expensive Land Rover?
- Suitable replacement for Jeep Grand Cherokee?
- Range Rover Sport or BMW X5?
- Ask Smithy Xtra LPG conversion for Range Rover
- Need new Range Rover key
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers