CX-9 transfer case failure
- Mazda CX-9
- Mazda CX-9 2009
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda CX-9 Reviews
- Mazda SUV Range
- 7 seater
- Family Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Leanne
I have been told my 2009 Mazda CX-9 Luxury needs a transfer case and now a new transmission. The transfer case is going to cost $3500, but out of "good will" Mazda will pay for the transmission, but I still have to pay $500 for the installation. The way this issue has been presented to me, and the reading I have done, it sounds like this is not the first time this has occurred. Have you heard of this?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Jul 2016
There have been reports of transfer case failure in the CX-9, due to poor lubrication as a result of the oil deteriorating over time. In the USA Mazda increased the warranty to cover the cost of repairs to the transfer case for vehicles produced between 2009 and 2013. The company said it was a result of driving under high load, like towing, or on low-grip surfaces, which caused increased oil temperature. The warranty coverage was increased to nine years. The deal you have been offered isn't a bad one, for $500 you're getting a new transmission, but if you want to take it further you'll need to negotiate with Mazda directly.
Other Mazda CX-9 problems
- How much should I pay to replace the transfer-case on my 2010 Mazda CX-9?
- Mazda CX-9 2015: Broken seat heigh adjuster.
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Does the Holden Acadia 2019 have enough space for three baby seats?
- Mazda CX-9 2009: Are there any recalls for this car?
- What is the most expensive Mazda?
- Mazda CX-9: Replacement key cost
- Toyota Kluger: What SUV would have less cabin noise?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?