Which generation Honda Jazz had a transmission issue related to the CVT?
Asked by Terrye
The early releases of the Honda Jazz had a transmission issue related to the CVT causing the car to shudder. I'd like to buy another Honda Jazz but am concerned about this and any other issues that are inherent to the Jazz. Can you advise on best date of manufacture or edition of Jazz that are hassle free?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Nov 2020
The problem you refer to affected the very first Jazz models sold here up to 2008. Any car made after that date should not exhibit the same problem as Honda made running changes to fix it back in the day.
The problem was actually traced back to the wrong transmission fluid being used in the CVT unit. These modern transmission are very particular about what fluid they use, especially with regard to the complex brew of additives that make up the fluid.
Over time, the fluid in the affected Jazzes would start to break down as the additives became depleted, at which point, it wasn’t doing the complete job necessary. Specifically, the depleted additive package suddenly allowed the starter-motor clutch to remain engaged. Essentially, you had the transmission trying to drive the car and the starter clutch dragging at it, effectively trying to slow it down. Which is when the car would start to shudder.
The solution was to switch to a new, reformulated transmission fluid which was added to the drained CVT, the car driven for a certain distance, the new fluid dumped and refilled and then the ECU reset to recalibrate the transmission. Problem sorted.
Other Honda Jazz problems
- I have a CVT transmission in my car. It has a jerky response in stop/start traffic, in Eco mode and when slowly accelerating... Is this normal for this transmission?
- Looking at a second-hand Jazz for our eldest's first car. Does the engine have a timing belt or chain?
- What is the best dog-friendly car?
- Honda Jazz 2008: What's the difference between models?
- Toyota Yaris 2011 and Honda Jazz 2005: Engine longevity
- Should I buy a used Honda Jazz?
- Honda Jazz 2018: Can I increase the legroom in my car?
- Honda Jazz 2007: Transmission problems
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- Five best small cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
Five best small cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing