What ute is a good first car?
- Toyota HiLux
- Mitsubishi Triton
- Holden Rodeo
- Mazda B2600
- Holden Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Subaru Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiLux Reviews
- Mitsubishi Triton Reviews
- Holden Rodeo Reviews
- Mazda B2600 Reviews
- Holden Commercial Range
- Holden Ute Range
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
- Mitsubishi Commercial Range
- Mitsubishi Ute Range
- Subaru Commercial Range
- Subaru Ute Range
- Toyota Commercial Range
- Toyota Ute Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Trevor
I am in the market for a first ute for my son. We're looking for something that will be cheap to run and can be bought for a decent price. Because of our property I would like a ute that we could fit with a bull bar. Old Hilux’s and Tritons are easy to come by, but the cost to run them will leave me broke and the low torque output could leave them feeling sluggish on the road. The legendary Subaru Brumby looks a very good choice for a first ute, but I would like to see all options before deciding, Please tell me what you'd would you think of old Navara’s, Bravo 2600s, Rodeos, Couriers for a first car, or if you have any other suggestions or advice.
Answered by CarsGuide16 Mar 2018
The Brumby would have been a good choice 10 years ago, but finding one now that hasn’t been driven into the ground, beaten to death, or rusted away is nigh on impossible. Instead of buying a dodgy old your son a favour and buy him a decent car, one that doesn’t belong in a scrap yard, and will serve him well for some time into the future. I would go for a Hilux, Triton, or Bravo 2600.
Other Holden Rodeo problems
- Holden Rodeo 2006: What does upgrade mean?
- Tip for repairing diesel injectors
- Is mismatching paint on a used car bad?
- Holden Rodeo 2001: Fair valuation?
- Holden Rodeo: Needs a new engine
- Holden Rodeo 1999: Poor LPG economy
- Holden Rodeo 1992: Bad fuel economy
- Holden Rodeo 1999: V6 petrol consumption
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Electric car battery recycling explained
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Electric car battery recycling explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
12 best EVs available in Australia