What should I do if my 2011 Mitsubishi Triton makes a grinding noise when changing gears?
- Mitsubishi Triton
- Mitsubishi Triton 2006
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Triton Reviews
- Mitsubishi Ute Range
Asked by Joseph
When changing from second to third gear in my 2011 Mitsubishi Triton I hear a grinding noise. But when changing down from fourth to third its fine. The car has done 84,000kms. What is most likely the cause here?
Answered by CarsGuide23 Oct 2021
Mitsubishi’s manual gearboxes from around this time (and earlier) were some of the noisiest around. But usually it wasn’t anything to be concerned about. Bearing rumble and some clutch bearing noise were pretty much par for the course, but your problem sounds more like it’s associated with the gearbox’s synchromesh rings. These rings are designed to allow the gearbox to slip between ratios smoothly and silently, and any crunching noises during shifts can often be traced to worn synchromesh parts.
The good news is you won’t harm the transmission by continuing to drive it, particularly if you’re careful and take your time with the shifts you know are most likely to create a crunch. If you can live with that, fine. If not, the gearbox will need to be removed from the car and rebuilt. That will be neither cheap nor simple.
Other Mitsubishi Triton problems
- What is causing my 2019 Mitsubishi Triton to have DPF issues?
- How do I add a leaf spring to the suspension of my 2010 Mitsubishi Triton?
- What's the better buy, Pajero Sport Exceed or Toyota Fortuner Crusade?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- What is the towing capacity of the Mitsubishi Triton?
- Why does the speedo in my 2004 Mitsubishi Triton bounce up and down and make a weird noise?
- What can I do about the red paint on my 2016 Mitsubishi Triton fading?
- Are there known problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton's intercooler pipes/hoses?
Most viewed in Advice
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Will electric cars ever be cheaper in Australia?
Cars that start with A
Cars that start with D
Cars that start with S
Cars that start with G
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Cars that start with E
Every electric car available in Australia
Cars that start with J
Cars that start with K