What is the best van for a camper conversion for less than $15000?
- Hyundai iMax
- Hyundai iLoad
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai iMax Reviews
- Hyundai iLoad Reviews
- Hyundai Commercial Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Miller
We are looking at buying a second hand van to convert into a low profile camper. We have looked at Hyundai iLoad's/iMax's in particular. Aiming to get a diesel engine. I have heard there can be issues with the turbo failing in some of these models. Is this true? if so we are looking at vans with 150 000km or less. Are there any red flags or recommendations to look out for when shopping around for these vans? Our budget is approx. $15 000.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
The Hyundai iLoad/iMax is a great buy for what you intend to use it for, as they're big, robust and roomy boxes on wheels. Not especially quiet, refined or car-like, but well suited to a camper conversion.
However, you must ensure that the example you are looking at has a full and regular service record. This is because the well-known diesel engine and turbo failures are connected with lapsed servicing. It seems oil sludge builds up, thus starving the engine and turbo of sufficient lubrication.
But here's the tricky bit. Hyundai recommended that all scheduled servicing was carried out every 15,000km, when actually 10,000km maximum was closer to the truth for vans that were driven regularly or had a hard life. Which is most of them.
So, you need to buy on condition as well as service history, to ensure you get the promised long-life out of the iLoad/iMax. If that's the case, you can expect to hit 300,000km without any major issues. Just get that oil changed regularly!
Other Hyundai iMax problems
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Which big family cars do you recommend?
- Burnt clutch on a Hyundai iMax
- Do Hyundai iLoad turbochargers 'blow up'?
- How does the LDV G10 compare to the Hyundai iMax and Kia Carnival?
- Should I sell my 2013 Hyundai iMax because it's problematic?
- iMax or Carnival?
- Rebuilding diff in iMax?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?