What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- Mazda CX-5
- Subaru Forester
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Nissan X-TRAIL
- Mazda Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Subaru Advice
- Mazda CX-5 Reviews
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Mitsubishi Outlander Reviews
- Nissan X-TRAIL Reviews
- Mazda SUV Range
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Nissan SUV Range
- Subaru SUV Range
- Family Cars
- Buying tips
Asked by Brad
I'm looking for a family SUV for around the $20k mark (maybe more). I've been looking at Diesel or Petrol Mitsubishi Outlanders as we want something quite spacious inside, but still small and economical enough to nip around town with as it will be my partners daily drive. The only thing I really desire is that it be suitable for beach driving/sand tracks as we often hit the sand over summer here in Western Australia. Is there any other cars that you would recommend? I have looked at Grand Vitaras but my partner doesn't like them. I know the Subaru Forester or Outback would do the job but aren't as economical as the Outlander.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
While the Mitsubishi Outlander is spacious, reliable and easy to drive, our experience testing it against rival medium SUVs have found it to be noisy and a little too firm riding to be truly comfortable and relaxing. At your price point, there are better alternatives out there.
Have you considered a Mazda CX-5? In petrol or diesel, we have found it to be a superior and more economical proposition, and is definitely quieter and more refined. Plus, the Mazda's all-wheel-drive system is more sophisticated and better at dealing with loose surfaces like sand.
A late-model (post 2014) S5-series Subaru Forester 2.5i petrol is far more economical than the earlier iterations, since it switched to a more efficient CVT continuously variable transmission. And there's also the 2.0D turbo-diesel which is economical. This, too, is a fine SUV on-road or for light off-road driving.
Finally, the Nissan X-Trail diesel is a roomy and capable choice, especially from 2017, when it received a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel to replace the older 1.6L unit.
Other Mitsubishi Outlander problems
- Why is the fuel consumption in my '07 Mitsubishi Outlander so high?
- Can the 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander tow a small caravan?
- What are the best economical small used cars?
- Mitsubishi Outlander 2019: Should I wait for the 2020 model?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
- What is the best car to tow a camper trailer?
- My car keeps going into limp home mode
- Best car to tow a horse float
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- Five best small cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
Five best small cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing