What are the best economical small used cars?
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Nissan Leaf
- Hyundai Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mitsubishi Outlander Reviews
- Nissan Leaf Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Sedan Range
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Mazda SUV Range
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
- Nissan SUV Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Buying tips
- Small Cars
Asked by Ted
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
It’s a fact of life, Ted, that fuel-efficiency has been a big focus for car-makers in the last decade. So, the most economical models tend to be the newer ones which tap into better technology (such as stop-start functions) and improved engine and driveline designs.
But beyond the improvements in petrol-engine technology, diesel engines have brought some big improvements, as have hybrid vehicles. The real headline makers have been, of course, the plug-in electric vehicles which are now available second-hand for sensible money. I’ve seen Nissan Leafs for sale for less than $20,000 and the plug-in hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for similar money.
If economy is your number-one aim, stay away from all-wheel-drive cars as the extra driveline friction requires more power and, therefore, fuel to drive it. And don’t forget that how you drive, where you drive and even whether you check you tyre pressure regularly can also have a huge effect on your ultimate fuel economy.
Other Toyota problems
- Can you adjust the rear suspension height in a 2006 Toyota Pardo?
- Should I buy an electric car now or later?
- What is the best small-medium SUV to buy used for under $15k
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Why is my horn and reversing camera not working?
- Why did my 2018 Toyota Kluger jump from drive into neutral?
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- Which Toyota Kluger models have a GPS?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- What is the speed limit while towing in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
What is the speed limit while towing in Australia?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?