What are the best economical small used cars?
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Nissan LEAF
- Hyundai Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mitsubishi Outlander Reviews
- Nissan LEAF Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Sedan Range
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Mazda SUV Range
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
- Nissan SUV Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Buying tips
- Small Cars
Asked by Ted
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
It’s a fact of life, Ted, that fuel-efficiency has been a big focus for car-makers in the last decade. So, the most economical models tend to be the newer ones which tap into better technology (such as stop-start functions) and improved engine and driveline designs.
But beyond the improvements in petrol-engine technology, diesel engines have brought some big improvements, as have hybrid vehicles. The real headline makers have been, of course, the plug-in electric vehicles which are now available second-hand for sensible money. I’ve seen Nissan Leafs for sale for less than $20,000 and the plug-in hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for similar money.
If economy is your number-one aim, stay away from all-wheel-drive cars as the extra driveline friction requires more power and, therefore, fuel to drive it. And don’t forget that how you drive, where you drive and even whether you check you tyre pressure regularly can also have a huge effect on your ultimate fuel economy.
Other Toyota problems
- I am thinking of getting a 2012/2013 Toyota Corolla but it has done close to 400,000km mileage. What are the things or replacement costs I need to consider?
- I have ordered a new Toyota Prado VX. There is a six-month wait before it arrives. Should I wait for the new model or order now?
- I'm in the market to buy a new car and not too sure whether I should go with an electric car or a hybrid?
- Why can't my 2015 Toyota LandCruiser 200 Series select the top gear?
- What van should I get to build a camper van?
- I have a kerosene-like smell coming from my 2006 Toyota LandCruiser exhaust when I am idling.
- I have noticed the paint has started chipping off the tray of my 2021 Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series. I can see that this is due to no undercoat. What should I do?
- I intend to leave my 2012 Toyota Yaris in the garage while I am elsewhere in Australia for three months. Is there anything I need to do?
Most viewed in Advice
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Five best small cars in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Most viewed in advice
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Five best small cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia