What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Ford Ranger
- Mazda BT-50
- Ford Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Lindsey
I have a 2014 model BT-50 auto 3.2-litre diesel. The car has done 130,000km and since about 90,000 it has developed an intermittent clunk in the first-to-second gear change. I have had the gearbox serviced twice and the mechanics couldn't find the fault. I have this week taken it to Mazda at Aspley to request an answer. It now clunks almost every change. The rest of the gear changes are smooth. They have diagnosed a faulty EGR valve and replaced it $1200 later. However, the gearbox still clunks. They charged me $165 for a diagnostic check and no solution. Any suggestions?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Sep 2020
This model Mazda BT-50 and its Ford Ranger counterpart (they’re the same vehicle under the skin) have had their share of automatic transmission problems over the years. There are known problems with the gears in the oil pump which are prone to wear, valve-body problems and a fault with the output shaft speed sensor which can also fail, forcing the gearbox back into first gear at relatively high speeds. All these problems could be contributing factors in the problems you’re seeing.
While EGR valves often need replacement (and I’m not disputing that yours did) I don’t imagine the EGR valve would have had anything to do with your gearbox problem. It’s not uncommon – nor unreasonable - for workshops to charge a diagnosis fee (it involves workshop time, after all) but servicing the transmission alone won’t fix it if it has any of the problems I’ve listed above.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- What do I do if a dealer gives me and incorrect quote?
- I'm having problems with my Mazda BT50 twin-cab pick-up order
- Why is my 2012 Mazda BT-50 making a scraping noise?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Why does the powertrain light keep coming on in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why is my 2019 Mazda BT-50 is losing traction?
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
12 best EVs available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Every electric car available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia