What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Ford Ranger
- Mazda BT-50
- Ford Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Lindsey
I have a 2014 model BT-50 auto 3.2-litre diesel. The car has done 130,000km and since about 90,000 it has developed an intermittent clunk in the first-to-second gear change. I have had the gearbox serviced twice and the mechanics couldn't find the fault. I have this week taken it to Mazda at Aspley to request an answer. It now clunks almost every change. The rest of the gear changes are smooth. They have diagnosed a faulty EGR valve and replaced it $1200 later. However, the gearbox still clunks. They charged me $165 for a diagnostic check and no solution. Any suggestions?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Sep 2020
This model Mazda BT-50 and its Ford Ranger counterpart (they’re the same vehicle under the skin) have had their share of automatic transmission problems over the years. There are known problems with the gears in the oil pump which are prone to wear, valve-body problems and a fault with the output shaft speed sensor which can also fail, forcing the gearbox back into first gear at relatively high speeds. All these problems could be contributing factors in the problems you’re seeing.
While EGR valves often need replacement (and I’m not disputing that yours did) I don’t imagine the EGR valve would have had anything to do with your gearbox problem. It’s not uncommon – nor unreasonable - for workshops to charge a diagnosis fee (it involves workshop time, after all) but servicing the transmission alone won’t fix it if it has any of the problems I’ve listed above.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why has the transmission light come on in my 2012 Mazda BT-50?
- Is there an allowable tolerance for the fitment of the aluminium tray on my 2020 Mazda BT-50?
- Why is the clutch making an odd noise in my 2015 Mazda BT-50?
- What could be causing my 2009 Mazda BT-50 to misfire?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- What are the known problems for a 2016 Ford Ranger?
- Did the 2013 Mazda BT-50 come with an engine cover?
- Mazda BT-50 2013: Does blanking off the EGR valve harm the engine?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers