What do I need to know when buying a new car?
- Mini 5D Hatch
- Mini 5D Hatch 2020
- Mini Advice
- Mini 5D Hatch Reviews
- Mini Hatchback Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Danai
I found a 2020 Mini 5D Hatch Cooper F55 Update for sale. What does “F55 Update” mean? And “New available to order”? Are there any other costs I should be aware of when buying a new car?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2021
The R55 Mini five-door hatch was given a facelift in July 2020, so `F55 Update’ should indicate the fact that the car in question is a post-update model. The facelift wasn’t a huge one and didn’t affect the basic vehicle, but depending on what version of the car was involved, there were a few minor changes to help keep the car current and competitive with its peers. ‘New available to order,’ meanwhile, suggests that a car is a brand-new one and not a second-hand car or – and it’s quite common – a demonstrator model.
As far as extra costs go when buying a new car, it’s all a bit of a minefield. Dealers love charging delivery fees (often simply a wash and vacuum) and you should make sure that any extras – like floor mats or slimline number-plates – are either requested specifically by you or are thrown in by the dealer to sweeten the deal. And don’t be sucked into the other extras like paint protection, upholstery protection and rust-proofing. If a car maker can’t sell you a car in 2021 that won’t fade, rot or rust, then they don’t deserve your money.
Then there are the inevitable government charges. These vary from state to state but can include stamp duty, registration and more. Make sure the dealer spells out all these extras and budget for them. The best advice is to insist that the car dealer is absolutely upfront with the final figure you’ll be asked to hand over before driving off in the car. Regardless of what 'discounts’ and deals the dealer offers, the only number you need to worry about is the drive-away, no more to pay figure.
Other Mini problems
- What do I need to know when buying a new car?
- What is the towing capacity of a 2018 Mini Countryman?
- Is it hard to get the charger off a Mini Cooper?
- Is a new Kia Cerato a good 2015 Mini Cooper replacement?
- What electric car should I buy?
- Nissan Juke 2019 or Mini Cooper 2018: Which should I buy?
- Are Minis good and reliable cars?
- Mini Cooper: Key fob replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mini
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers