What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
- Family Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Chris
I bought a Captiva LT 2009 four cylinder with two problems; a vibration between both driver’s and front passenger’s seat and, also a metallic noise coming continuously from below the engine. Are these problems major issues? Under acceleration I can feel the vibration changing.
Answered by CarsGuide16 Sep 2020
Noises and vibrations are sometimes very hard to diagnose, particularly by remote control. A metallic noise from underneath the car is often a heat shield rattling against another component and this will can vary according to the load the engine is under at the time. Another common source of rattles is a collapsed catalytic-converter in the exhaust system which can sound like a tin can full or nuts and bolts when you rev the engine or place it under load.
Also, you might find that the vibration and the noise you’re feeling and hearing are from the same source. But you really need to have the car inspected to find out the source of the white noise.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
- What is causing my 2009 Holden Captiva to run poorly?
- Why is the 4WD light coming on in my 2010 Holden Captiva?
- Holden Captiva 2009: Should I replace a leaking turbo?
- Holden Captiva 2007: Why is the engine smoking?
Most viewed in Advice
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4