What can I do if the transmission in my 2012 Holden Cruze has failed?
Asked by Karl
The transmission on my 2012 Holden Cruze 1.4T has failed at just 92,000km. I’ve been quoted around $4500 to fix it at the dealer. Holden says the car is 'end of life' and will not assist in any way although I bought it new. They were replacing these known faulty transmissions up to 150,000km and my original warranty was five years/130,000km. But because my daughter and I did low mileage it took us a bit longer to reach this premature total failure. I thought that GM's definition of 'end of life' at 92,000km and lack of help for a notorious fault would be of interest to any readers considering buying their cars in the future. And I wondered if there is anything you could do to get a better response from GM.
Answered by CarsGuide27 May 2021
I’d definitely be talking to Holden’s customer service department. I agree that 92,000km is a long way short of what I’d consider to be the lifespan of a modern motor vehicle, even if it has taken you more than five years to reach that mileage. In any case, nobody will be buying new Holdens any longer as the brand no longer exists.
Meanwhile, you’re right, transmission failures are a well known fault with this make and model and Holden did extend the factory warranty on them to 130,000km. Unfortunately, the five-year limit also applied which is where you’ve run out of time. I would hate to think that Holden’s demise as a brand will leave existing owners high and dry, but I can imagine that’s just how you’re feeling. Without an active factory presence in Australia, though, it might be difficult to get much joy from Holden.
Other Holden Cruze problems
- Holden Cruze Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Holden Cruze?
- Are there any issues with a Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo from 2015 onwards?
- Why did I loose acceleration in my 2012 Holden Cruze even though I still had revs?
- Why won't my 2009 Holden Cruze auto change gears?
- What are the known problems for a 2012 Holden Cruze?
- Is a 2012 Holden Cruze likely to have a faulty gearbox?
- Holden Cruze 2010: Failed transmission
- Holden Cruze 2011: Radio in a constant boot-loop
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?