Turbo lag issue on Santa Fe
Asked by Robert Wyer
An intermittent engine miss developed in my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe R 2.2-litre diesel six months after I bought it, and it now occurs regularly, although I can't get it to do it when I've taken the car to the dealer. It's best described as like a turbo lag. It can occur up to four times a day, but mostly it happens once a day. It can happen from starting off, or when accelerating to pass from various speeds, or taking off at lights etc. Mostly it occurs on very hot days when the engine is hot, but once or twice it did do it when first starting off. The dealer's diagnostic computer shows nothing. I believe it is a safety issue, as I have been caught out a few times. I hope you can help.
Answered by CarsGuide26 Apr 2013
Finding the cause of an intermittent problem is difficult because it doesn't always occur when the mechanic is there to witness it. It means he's flying blind when attempting to diagnose it. Likewise, if it doesn't happen when the diagnostic equipment is connected everything will indicate normal. The only thing you can do is to persist with the dealer and urge him to continue to seek a solution. It might help if you to set up a video camera in the car and have it running every time you drive the car and record it when it happens. That would show the dealer that it does actually happen and you're not making it up, and might give him some information that might help trace the problem.
Other Hyundai Santa Fe problems
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2019: Should I buy the diesel version?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2009: Timing belt replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000