Toyota LandCruiser: replacing transmission fluid
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2009
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- 7 seater
- Car Servicing
Asked by Brad Midson
I have a 2009 Toyota Landcruiser 200 series GXL V8 petrol auto wagon, which is coming up for its 60,000 km service. I have had no problems with overheating or transmission issues, but I was wondering if I should it have the auto trans fluid replaced? The manual says its sealed for life, but we occasionally tow a large tri-axle horse float that weighs approx three-tonne with horses on board. I get my own mechanic to service my car rather than Toyota and would like to know what the correct replacement fluid type is and what volume is needed?
Answered by CarsGuide7 Apr 2011
While most automatic transmissions today are sealed for life and carmakers say they don’t need any servicing it pays to be cautious, especially when towing as you do. The guys at AW Automatics say it holds 8-9 litres, the service fill is three litres, and you should use Toyota WS trans fluid if its in warranty, and Valvoline Synthetic Trans Fluid if its out of warranty.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser problems
- Toyota LandCruiser 2016:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series: What is the height of the running board?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2014: Is this a good car to buy second-hand?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1998: What is the towing power of this car?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2006: How much would this car sell for?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2009: Why is my car beeping when I touch the brake pedal?
- What is the bet car for towing?
- Toyota Land Cruiser GXL 2018: Auto transmission issues
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
When to use low range in your 4x4
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list