Subaru Forester 2003: When to change the water pump?
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2003
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Subaru SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Brian Wakelin
MY MECHANIC told me that if I was going to change the cam belt on my six-year-old 72,000km Subaru Forester X I should also change the water pump because they always go at the same time. Subaru tell me they sell few water pumps so it is not a problem. What do you think?
Answered by CarsGuide30 Jan 2009
SUBARU told us it is not necessary to replace the water pump every time the cam belt is changed. The company says current spare parts sales for cam belts are more than six times those of water pumps for the Forester. But they say some workshops recommend checking the water pump when replacing the cam belt because replacing the pump requires the cam belt to be removed. It is suspected some workshops replace the water pump unnecessarily because of small signs of seepage from the breather hole. Slight seepage is normal as this is designed to drain water pump seal seepage. Subaru Australia issued a bulletin to dealers in July 2006 to inform them of this.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2017: How much can this car tow?
- Subaru Forester 2009: Why are the warning lights flashing on the dash?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000