Hyundai Santa Fe 2004: Battery going flat?
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2004
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Russell Westbury,
A lady friend owns a low kay 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe that is a pleasure to drive and performs very well, but it has a starting problem that won't go away. If the vehicle is left standing a short time the battery goes flat, but then it can stand for a weeks and there's no problem. The NRMA has been called out for her on at least 10 occasions, one it was towed to the Hyundai dealership where it was left for a week, but no fault could be found. It has also been to three auto electricians, again without success. With four new batteries and almost $1000 spent it is sitting in her driveway again waiting for the NRMA. All Hyundai would suggest is that she needs to drive it more, which she would do if only she could rely on it starting every time.
Answered by CarsGuide10 Feb 2011
Driving it more regularly is not the answer; there is a drain on the battery when the car is sitting that is causing it to go flat. The first thing to do is to check that there are lights, like courtesy lights, boot lights, glove box lights etc. that are staying on instead of switching off when they should. Computers can be a source of a drain if they don't go on to stand-by mode when the car is switched off. I would suggest you take it to another auto elec and have them thoroughly check it; they should be able to find the fault.
Other Hyundai Santa Fe problems
- Which used seven-seater should I buy for 15-20k?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2019: Should I buy the diesel version?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2009: Timing belt replacement
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2010: Does this model have a timing belt or chain?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Kit cars Australia: Can you still build one...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Kit cars Australia: Can you still build one in 2020?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?