Should I buy a 2021 Hyundai Kona or 2021 VW T-Roc?
- Hyundai Kona
- Volkswagen T-Roc
- Hyundai Kona 2021
- Volkswagen T-ROC 2021
- Hyundai Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Hyundai Kona Reviews
- Volkswagen T-Roc Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Volkswagen SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Chloe
I am in the market to buy my second car - a small to mid-sized SUV - and my requirements are a car small enough for inner-city driving (fuel efficiency) but comfortable enough to drive Sydney to Brisbane regularly (all the safety features and latest tech). I’ve narrowed the search to a Hyundai Kona (2021 Elite or above) or a VW T-Roc (Style with luxury package). I can’t stand the look of the Kona’s ‘wagon’ shape but advice from mechanics tells me to stay clear of a European car and in particular VW due to reliability, warranty issues and scarcity of parts should something happen. Obviously it just comes down to personal preference but I’m keen to hear what someone in the car industry thinks. Any advice on which to pick would be greatly appreciated?
Answered by CarsGuide21 Apr 2021
Volkswagen’s latest cars are lovely to drive but it’s true; many mechanics (and plenty of owners) are wary of the brand’s recent reputation for reliability. But if you’re buying a brand-new or nearly new example, then the factory warranty will be some peace of mind. The safest bet right now, is something Japanese or South Korean, and that includes the Hyundai you’re looking at as well as the equivalent offerings from Kia. Both these brands have enviable reputations for durability and both come with terrific factory warranties.
Volkswagen’s current high-tech turbocharged engines are very entertaining to drive as well as being frugal in all situations, but, in reality, any current model mid-sized SUV is more than capable of delivering you interstate in comfort and safety as well as offering low running costs. Bear in mind you may have to pay extra for the top-shelf model if you want all the latest safety and convenience technology.
Other Hyundai Kona problems
- Should I buy a Hyundai Kona or Honda HR-V?
- What is the rubbing noise behind the wheel of my 2019 Hyundai Kona?
- What is the grating noise behind the wheel of my 2018 Hyundai Kona?
- Which small SUV should I buy to replace my Hyundai Tucson?
- Why won't my 2020 Hyundai Kona electric not open or start?
- What are the pros and cons of a 2018 MG ZS?
- What car should I replace my 2011 Hyundai i20 with?
- What electric car should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about EV motors
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Buying a car Interstate: how to purchase a...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about EV motors
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Buying a car Interstate: how to purchase a vehicle from another state?