Subaru Forester 2005: Shocking knocking under light acceleration
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2005
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Subaru SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by David Hollibone
I HAVE a MY05 Subaru Forester XS Auto with about 10,000km on the clock. For the last 5000km I have noticed a knocking noise coming from the engine under light acceleration (1500-2000 revs). My dealer suggested it was caused by poor-quality fuel and suggested I switch to PULP. I did and nothing changed. The problem occurs only when the vehicle is in drive and moving. Any ideas?
Answered by CarsGuide27 Jan 2006
WE APPROACHED Subaru for its thoughts. The company said it is difficult to accurately diagnose the engine noise without hearing it or knowing the specific conditions when it occurs. It is possibly caused by pinging or by pre-detonation of the fuel in the combustion chamber and this can be the result of the quality and/or octane rating of the fuel. If the dealer cannot determine the actual cause, it can ask for help from Subaru Australia's technical support department (ph: 1800 226 643) so more specific information can be obtained to assist the diagnosis.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2017: How much can this car tow?
- Subaru Forester 2009: Why are the warning lights flashing on the dash?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?