Mitsubishi Lancer 2010: Are there any known problems?
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2010
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Taj
I'm looking at buying a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer SX hatchback, it has been driven by an older lady and she has owned it since new. It has 199,000 kms on the clock, most of which are highway miles. The transmission is manual, and the car looks in good condition for the price of $4000, although the windscreen needs replacing and the rego runs out in August. What are some common problems I should look out for and do you think it is a reasonable deal for the high mileage and price?
Answered by CarsGuide6 Jun 2020
That price sound about right for a manual Lancer with those kilometres on board. If anything, it’s probably a little on the bargain side. A lot of cars need a windscreen to gain a roadworthy certificate, so that’s no big deal and, provided the car is in good condition generally, it sounds like a decent buy.
Common problems with this model often involved the electrical systems, so make sure all the lights and gadgets in the car work properly. Manual lancers also had the odd problem with a gearshift that could become disconnected from the gearbox itself. If that has happened, you’d definitely know about it as you wouldn’t be able to select gears. It’s not a huge fix if it does happen.
Other relatively common faults in this model included a faulty ABS module that needed to be replaced and this can be a big expense. Oil leaks from the front of the engine are also an issue (particularly for a roadworthy inspection). And don’t keep the ignition key in the same pocket as your phone; stray signals can wipe the key’s memory and leave you stranded.
Other Mitsubishi Lancer problems
- Why is my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer jumping out of gear?
- How do you access the plenum chamber drain in a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- Does my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan run a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What can I do about the metallic red paint on my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer peeling?
- Should the thermatic fan run constantly in a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- What is included on the 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer InStyle?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2017: At what impact should airbags deploy?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2000: How do I know if my car is sub model or performance?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- New vs used
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- P plate legal cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
New vs used
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
P plate legal cars in Australia