Lots of play in 2015 Ford Ranger tow bar
- Ford Ranger
- Ford Ranger 2015
- Ford Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
Asked by Micheal
I recently purchased a 2015 Mark 1 Ford Ranger dual-cab, fitted with a genuine Ford tow bar. The tow bar in question has 20 mm play overall up and down at the ball and 10 mm side movement. I went to a 4WD store and they rang another tow bar company; their advice was to sleeve it due to the amount of movement. They also suggested I go to Ford as it may be a warranty claim given the amount of play. Anyway, some young service guys looked at it, and said it was acceptable. I asked for the name of the manufacturer, so I could ask them for the allowable tolerances of play as I did not feel safe having my caravan bouncing around on the back of the car. I was told they have no idea who makes them, nor do they know what the tolerances are. They were not very forthcoming with any information. I voiced my concern over the stress on the pin. Have other Ford owners complained of the same thing?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Sep 2017
No, we haven't had other complaints of this issue. There shouldn't be anything like that amount of movement, makes me wonder if the tongue is the correct one for the bar. Take the car to a towing place, like Hayman-Reece, and have them assess it.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- What is the fuel consumption of the 2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrak?
- What is causing my 2013 Ford Ranger to shudder when it downshifts?
- What could be the cause of vehicle shudder in my 2013 Ford Ranger XLT?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Can an oil cooler keep the transmission cool in my 2014 Ford Ranger?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia