Kia Sportage 2012: Shuddering brake problem
Asked by Ed & Gill Van Der Klaauw
We are experiencing a problem with our 2012 Kia Sportage SI, which we purchased in February this year with less than 1000 km on the speedometer. On taking it for a test drive we noticed that when we braked there was a pronounced "clunking, shuddering" noise that appeared to come from the rear brakes and through the brake pedal. When we mentioned it to the salesman we were told it would disappear after a while because the vehicle was virtually brand new and had not been run in. The noise still persists, despite being taken back to the dealership three times. The service manager told us that the noise was caused by: 1. The car sitting on the dock in Melbourne too long and was due to surface rust on the brakes. 2. It was a normal car/running-in noise. 3. All Kia vehicles are known for this problem. 4. Driver technique. We are frustrated, annoyed and fed-up with the treatment and comments from the dealership. Could you please help us?
Answered by CarsGuide12 Jul 2013
I too would be frustrated with the treatment you have received, and I would be questioning the competence of the dealership. From your description I would suspect that there is a faulty ABS sensor or similar in one of the rear wheels and what you are experiencing is the ABS activating. We will forward your complain to Kia and request their assistance.
Other Kia Sportage problems
- Why did the engine in my 2012 Kia Sportage seize without warning?
- If I want to upgrade my car should I trade it in or sell it privately?
- Which small SUV should I buy to replace my Hyundai Tucson?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
- Does the Kia Sportage 2019 have surging issues?
- What is the best car to tow a camper trailer?
- What SUV's are the most fuel efficient?
- Kia Sportage: How to check the model year
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Best five utes for towing
- Do electric cars actually save you money?
- The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi...
- Selling your car privately or to a dealer
- Capped price servicing explained
- 70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the...
- Best large family SUVs for boot space
- Cars that start with X
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Best five utes for towing
Do electric cars actually save you money?
The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi Triton
Selling your car privately or to a dealer
Capped price servicing explained
70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the Toyota 4WD
Best large family SUVs for boot space
Cars that start with X