Kia Sorento 2012: Turning off overdrive for towing?
Asked by Don Bonny
When I asked about turning off the overdrive in my new Kia Sorento when pulling a trailer I was informed I couldn't, that I should use the sport shift. This would be like driving a truck as going up and down hills a gear change would be required. Previously I had a Mazda Tribute where you pressed a button and overdrive was locked out and the auto did the rest. What's the go?
Answered by CarsGuide31 May 2012
We asked Kia for advice, which was "there is no overdrive as such in your car, it has just the six gears, and there is no lockout. The recommendation is that when towing you let the six-speed gearbox drive it as a full automatic and allow the gearbox to do its work. It is not recommended to use the manual mode to force gears to hold as there is a higher risk of overheating the gearbox. The exception to that rule is if the manual mode is used sensibly to help with engine braking on steep descents."
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Why does my 2009 Kia Sorento Intermittently go into limp home mode?
- How do you remove a rear door panel on a 2016 Kia Sorento?
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Are caps to stop petrol being used in diesel vehicles reliable?
- Why does my 2017 Kia Sorento randomly lose power?
- Why is my 2013 Kia Sorento making a clunking noise?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with D
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cars that start with S
- Cars that start with K
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Cars that start with C
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with D
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cars that start with S
Cars that start with K
Every electric car available in Australia
Cars that start with C
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?