Is there a problem with the timing chain in my 2016 Holden Captiva?
Asked by Stan
What’s are the signs of timing chain issues in a Holden Captiva 2016?
Answered by CarsGuide9 Dec 2020
The V6 engine in the Captiva is well known for its propensity to suffer from worn or stretched timing chains far too early in life. Early signs can be a rattling noise when the engine is first started (hot or cold) as well as a check-engine light on the dashboard. The check-engine light is a result of the stretched chain allowing the camshafts to move so far out of sync with the rest of the engine that the sensor that measures their position can longer 'find' them. At which point, the warning light is triggered.
You can also have the car electronically scanned to see what’s going on. If the computer throws up fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019, then you almost certainly have a stretched timing chain. Replacement of the chain is the only proper fix.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I replace the engine in my 2013 Holden Captiva?
- Why is my diesel 2014 Holden Captiva blowing black smoke?
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
- What is causing my 2009 Holden Captiva to run poorly?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000