If I want to upgrade my car should I trade it in or sell it privately?
- Kia Sportage
- Kia Cerato
- Kia Cerato 2017
- Kia Sportage 2017
- Kia Advice
- Kia Sportage Reviews
- Kia Cerato Reviews
- Kia SUV Range
- Buying tips
- Selling tips
- 7 seater
Asked by Henry
I have Kia Sportage 2017 model and I’m looking to upgrade to a Kia Carnival seven-seater from 2017 upwards. Just wondering what option is best: To either trade in the Sportage for the Kia Carnival and pay the difference, or sell the Sportage privately and negotiate a deal for a Kia Carnival... what are your thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide2 Dec 2020
The answer will come down (somewhat) to whether the car dealership you buy from wants your car as a trade-in or not. Even if it’s agreed that your Sportage will act as a trade-in, if the car yard in question doesn’t really want it, they won’t offer you much for it. Sometimes, a car dealer will even give you what’s called a no-trade bonus which is a few dollars off the price of the new car on the basis that you’re not lumbering them with a trade-in they don’t want to have to sell on.
You stand to make a little more by selling the Sportage privately, but only if you can be bothered with placing an advert and then having a stream of strangers in your driveway on a Saturday morning. Trading the old car in on the new one is the simplest, easiest way of switching cars, but as with any deal like this, don’t be star-struck by the trade-in price, because the extra you think you’re being given for the car will almost certainly be added on to the price of the new car. The important number with this type of transaction is the change-over figure; the actual amount of money you need to stump up to swap from one car to another.
Other Kia Sportage problems
- Does the Kia Sportage have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto?
- Why did the engine in my 2012 Kia Sportage seize without warning?
- Which small SUV should I buy to replace my Hyundai Tucson?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
- Does the Kia Sportage 2019 have surging issues?
- What is the best car to tow a camper trailer?
- What SUV's are the most fuel efficient?
- Kia Sportage: How to check the model year
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- P plate legal cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
P plate legal cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with electric cars