Hyundai iLoad: How reliable is the engine and turbo?
- Toyota HiAce
- Hyundai iLoad
- Hyundai ILOAD 2010
- Toyota HiAce 2010
- Hyundai Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiAce Reviews
- Hyundai iLoad Reviews
- Hyundai Commercial Range
- Toyota Commercial Range
Asked by Lance
I'm shopping around for a second-hand van for my small business and have always liked the look of the Hyundai iLoad over the Toyota HiAce. I have found a great deal on for a 2010 iLoad for $12,000. It's clocked over 200,000 km, but has a newly rebuilt engine and new turbo installed less than a year ago. The ad states that these refurbished parts have only clocked 12,000 km. I've done some research and have found a large number of unsatisfied buyers complaining about the reliability of the iLoad's engine and turbo. With failures occurring between roughly 50,000-100,000 km. The cost to the seller in question was $5,500 to rebuild the engine and replace with new turbo, although I've read that some owners have been quoted $12,000-$18,000 for an engine and turbo replacement through a Hyundai dealer. At this point, I'm convinced to walk away from the deal, but figured it'd be best to get a second opinion and perhaps a point in the right direction for any alternatives.
Answered by CarsGuide5 Oct 2018
The key to getting a decent run out of the iLoad is to change the oil more frequently. Change it every 5000 km. But if you’re not sure about its reliability certainly walk away. The HiAce is probably the best bet for you, but you could consider a VW Transporter, Mercedes-Benz Vito or Renault Trafic.
Other Toyota HiAce problems
- Why does my 2007 Toyota Hiace make a whistling noise?
- Toyota HiAce 2003: Which variant is the best?
- Toyota HiAce 2018: Whistling sound
- Toyota HiAce 1987: What's it worth?
- Are imported cars safer?
- Why is my 2001 Toyota HiAce hard to start on cold mornings?
- Why is my '01 Toyota Hiace hard to start on a cold morning?
- How to start a car in the cold
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to travel Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers