How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Corolla 2012
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
Asked by Moira
The key to my 2012 Toyota Corolla sometimes won't work so I presume that the battery is getting flat. Can I buy the internal battery case or can the battery be changed in it? Should I just take it to the Toyota people?
Answered by CarsGuide24 Sep 2020
You should be able to prise open the key’s plastic body and then gain access to the battery-case within. But be careful, as older plastics become brittle with age and you don’t want to snap any of the locking tabs or the body itself (if you do, replacement keys are available online). If that all sounds a bit difficult, you could take the key to a shop or kiosk that cuts keys (and sells watch-bands and batteries) and they should be able to supply and fit the new battery for you. If you do it at home, make sure you dispose of the old button-battery safely as these pose a real threat to babies and toddlers.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- How do I find a reputable mechanic in my area?
- What used hybrid should I buy?
- Will a Toyota Corolla run on E10 petrol?
- What would the battery warranty be like on a used Toyota Corolla?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4