How do I get my 2008 Holden Captiva to burn off the Diesel Particulate Filter?
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Captiva 2008
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by William
How do I get the 2008 Holden Captiva diesel to burn off the DPF manually? I have been using Penrite DPF cleaner every 500km and it doesn't seem to work.
Answered by CarsGuide23 Aug 2021
Regardless of whether you use an additive, a car’s Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) will still need to be cleaned (or regenerated) periodically as soot builds up in it. Short trips where the engine doesn’t get a chance to warm up properly, as well as extended periods of idling in traffic and stop-start running will all hasten this requirement.
In the case of the Captiva diesel, the best way to manually force a regeneration is to put aside an hour and go for a decent drive. The advice from Holden in the day was to travel at more than 50km/h and at more than 2000rpm (which may mean locking the car out of overdrive) for a minimum of 25 minutes. During this process, you should not allow the speed or revs to fall below those two figures which suggests finding a decent strip of freeway to carry out this process. You should also not turn off the engine at any point in this procedure. The broad idea is to get the engine and exhaust hot enough for the filter to regenerate and clean itself.
If, after 100km of this type of treatment, the DPF light on the dashboard hasn’t disappeared, the solution is a trip to a workshop to have the filter investigated and, potentially, hand-cleaned. Experience suggests a couple of attempts may be needed to get this to happen as it should, and in fact, the car’s computer will give you several chances to produce the desired effect before the workshop beckons.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Can you change the oil yourself on a 2014 Holden Captiva AWD?
- Why did my 2012 Holden Captiva lose power and go into neutral?
- What major problems has the Holden Captiva had?
- Where can I purchase a new remote central locking system for my 2009 Holden Captiva?
- Why do all the warning lights on my 2007 Holden Captiva turn on?
- Should I replace the engine in my 2013 Holden Captiva?
- Why is my diesel 2014 Holden Captiva blowing black smoke?
- Is there a problem with the timing chain in my 2016 Holden Captiva?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- A guide to converting your old car to...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
A guide to converting your old car to electric
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?